Bellatrix

I love this mini.

IMG_9854

I was in a Harry Potter craft swap on instagram and my partner dropped out at the last minute. Instead of re assigning me at the last minute, the organizer told me I could keep my quilt and I’m so happy that I got to.

Wee Little Stitches has great cross stitch patterns for little pixel people. I used the Hunter Design Studio tutorial to convert the Bellatrix from the Harry Potter sampler into a pattern. I mimicked the backstitches you would do on a cross stitch pattern to make the straps on her dress by going over those blocks with one of the deco stitches on my Bernina. Instead of doing a million one and a half inch squares, I worked out how long each strip would need to be and cut them accordingly.  Majorly sanity saving. I added borders and did some cross hatch quilting to finish her off. I love how she turned out.

Advertisements

The Mystery Machine

I whipped up this pattern in Quilt Assistant for a cartoon swap I was in on Instagram IMG_9073

I decided that it would be easier to appliqué the flower and logo on after the rest of the body of the van was pieced together.

I traced the logo onto the orange fabric that I’d prepped with Wonder Under and then ironed it on before doing a satin stitch around each letter. I free drew the flowers before attaching them the same way.

IMG_9482

I also made a little zipper pouch that says “Jinkies!” using the From Blank Pages My First Alphabet paper piecing pattern.

I added in a few more goodies and sent the Mystery Machine to it’s new home. I wound up taking a very weird photo on the trunk of my boyfriend’s car because I needed to ship it while we were on vacation. At least the lighting is good.

IMG_9493

The zipper pouch wound up a little bigger than I’d have liked, I think in the future I may try and scale down the letters a little bit.

NFL Mini Quilt and Craft Swap

I was nervous to sign up for any swaps before I signed up for this one. I’d see references to “the naughty list” and I’d be mystified that such a thing existed for something that seemed so unregulated. When I saw this one posted, the woman running it (mrspalmer724 on Instagram) encouraged me to give it a go and I’m very grateful that she did.

img_8879

I got paired up with a Bronco’s fan and I was very pleased. It would have been much harder to get excited about making something for a Falcon’s fan.

Originally I wanted to design a paper pieced Bronco head. After I realized a) how ambitious that would be and b) how much complicated paper piecing is a pain in the neck, I decided that appliqué on a pieced background would be a better bet for me.

img_9020

I cut the pieces of the bronco’s head and mane on my silhouette after pressing on some Wonder Under. I pressed the bits together and then did a satin stitch around each element in matching thread. I quilted a line around the head and mane to try and make it pop a little bit and then stippled out from there.

img_9075

I had picked up some NFL logo fabric to use for backing. I made another hexi with some white scrap fabric for a label.

img_9080

I also used the backing fabric to make a little drawstring bag and a pin cushion with a little pocket. I stuffed the bag with some candy my partner and her husband like.

img_9082

My partner (roseandodin on Instagram) took a lovely photo of her goodies.

screen-shot-2016-09-12-at-12-51-59-am

This was such a lovely experience, especially nice as an introduction to swapping. I signed up for this swap first, and it gave me the confidence to sign up for others (the Star Block swap shipped more quickly than this one, which is why I posted about it first).

Star Block Quilt Swap

Here’s what I wound up making for the #starblockquiltswap on Instagram, hosted by shoppershaz. img_8818

My partner said she liked Tula Pink fabrics and Evening Star blocks, so I picked up a charm pack and some coordinating yardage and a solid to tie it all together. And a block was born!

img_8949

I made a little pincushion out of the scraps. It’s filled with crushed walnut shells.

img_9024

I love the tigers looking saucily out from the flower in this fabric in the Eden line.

img_8999

I fussy cut four for the corners of the block. I used my BSR and free motion quilted out from the center of the block.

img_8998

I patched together a back from various scraps and charms, and I EPP’d a little hexi for a label.

img_9027

I had picked up a fat quarter of another Tula print before the charm pack I ordered arrived, and I’d originally intended to back or bind the mini with it. I didn’t love the prints together tho, so I threw it in as an extra. I did some diligent social media snooping and discovered my partner had a love of sour sweets and nerdy things. I tend to go a little bit over board when putting together gifts, but I restrained myself while putting together the package. My partner took a great shot of her goodies (she’s courtney.is.crafty on Instagram).

screen-shot-2016-09-12-at-12-43-57-am

It was great fun to put all of this together.